Monday, December 28, 2009

Book Count Update

Today was the beginning of the last week of the Holiday Break Reading Challenge.  I had a pretty slow start, but I've finally hit my stride.  Today I finished my third book and started my fourth.  So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to let you know what I've read so far and give you a chance to do the same in the comments.

Book #1 - BONESHAKER by Cherie Priest




In the early days of the Civil War, rumors of gold in the frozen Klondike brought hordes of newcomers to the Pacific Northwest. Anxious to compete, Russian prospectors commissioned inventor Leviticus Blue to create a great machine that could mine through Alaska’s ice. Thus was Dr. Blue’s Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engine born.

But on its first test run the Boneshaker went terribly awry, destroying several blocks of downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranean vein of blight gas that turned anyone who breathed it into the living dead.

Now it is sixteen years later, and a wall has been built to enclose the devastated and toxic city. Just beyond it lives Blue’s widow, Briar Wilkes. Life is hard with a ruined reputation and a teenaged boy to support, but she and Ezekiel are managing. Until Ezekiel undertakes a secret crusade to rewrite history.

His quest will take him under the wall and into a city teeming with ravenous undead, air pirates, criminal overlords, and heavily armed refugees. And only Briar can bring him out alive.

Book #2 - WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead

By sixth grade, Miranda and her best friend, Sal, know how to navigate their New York City neighborhood. They know where it’s safe to go, like the local grocery store, and they know whom to avoid, like the crazy guy on the corner.

But things start to unravel. Sal gets punched by a new kid for what seems like no reason, and he shuts Miranda out of his life. The apartment key that Miranda’s mom keeps hidden for emergencies is stolen. And then Miranda finds a mysterious note scrawled on a tiny slip of paper: 

I am coming to save your friend’s life, and my own.
I must ask two favors. First, you must write me a letter.

The notes keep coming, and Miranda slowly realizes that whoever is leaving them knows all about her, including things that have not even happened yet. Each message brings her closer to believing that only she can prevent a tragic death. Until the final note makes her think she’s too late.
Book #3 - LOCKDOWN by Walter Dean Myers



Lockdown explores an unlikely friendship between fourteen-year-old Progress inmate Reese and a man he meets through his work program at a local senior citizens’ home. When Mr. Hooft is finally able to open up about his harrowing past, he gives Reese a way to reenvision his own future. Imbued with the realism and authenticity that have marked Myers’s prolific writing career, this story questions how complicated it can be to separate right from wrong while struggling for survival. 

Book #4 - RAGE by Julie Anne Peters (JUST STARTED TODAY)


Johanna is steadfast, patient, reliable; the go-to girl, the one everyone can count on. But always being there for others can’t give Johanna everything she needs—it can’t give her Reeve Hartt.

Reeve is fierce, beautiful, wounded, elusive; a flame that draws Johanna’s fluttering moth. Johanna is determined to get her, against all advice, and to help her, against all reason. But love isn’t always reasonable, right?

In the precarious place where attraction and need collide, a teenager experiences the dark side of a first love, and struggles to find her way into a new light.

What about you guys?  Leave a comment with your update.

4 comments:

  1. I'm currently finishing up book #5. I've gotten a surprising amount of reading done. I seem to be sailing through the books and catching up on things I want to rather than have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished book 6, and am starting book 7 right now =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on books 7 and 8 right now. Both are stories: Lips Touch by Laini Taylor and War Dances by Sherman Alexie. I'm interchanging them. The graphic novel Kith and How to Steal a Car were really short, so I don't know that they have the same weight as the longer ones do, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep track of everything in the 75 Book Challenge group at LibraryThing. I only talk about some of the adult books and the YA books on my blog (students are more likely to see that than my LibraryThing).

    Here is the link http://www.librarything.com/topic/72328 I have finished 6 since my Christmas Break started and 7 since yours did.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails